Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Whatchmacallit


I don't know, what do we call it?
So my delicious friend Annie gave me this tasty treat the other week.  I'd never seen nor heard of this bar before and I was certainly dubious when I saw it contained 'peanut flavoured' crispy things.  But in my solemnly sworn duty to try any and all candy that crosses my path I decided I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

The packaging describes it as 'made with chocolate, peanut flavoured crisps and caramel' though looking at the ingredients it technically isn't chocolate but I'm not going to quibble.  The bar is a long flat slab, nicely shaped and with a creamy latte coloured wrapper.  The bar travelled from the Gold Coast to my handbag which it then lived in for three days before being consumed and it was in surprisingly (or scarily) good condition.

Inside-y bits.
The main scent present upon unwrapping is sweet and cocoa-y, the bar snapped nicely and I didn't detect any overwhelming peanutiness so things were going well.  On a sidenote what is with the American obsession with peanuts and peanut butter in particular?  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  I mean I get the peanuts and the releated butter is tasty but really?  You want it in that many things? Ahem, back to the candy.

First bite I was hit with mainly sweet, the textures are really nice and the peanut flavour is subtle.  I couldn't say the caramel added much but it was a nice contrast to the base.  I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this bar, I ate the whole thing quite easily.  It reminded me a great deal of a Smores Bar that was available some time ago but I think has been discontinued.

The Final Verdict: 3.5 - It was good, unexpectedly so.  But I'd also say it was a little forgettable.  Nothing really stood out and the flavours couldn't really be determined from one another.  Satisfying textures within though, good for people who like feeling in their food.

1 comment:

  1. Those are fantastic, I've had a few and they are just heavenly!

    ReplyDelete